If you or someone you know is experiencing a suicidal crisis or emotional distress, call or text 988 to speak confidentially with a trained crisis responder. To chat online, visit 988lifeline.org. 988 is available 24/7, nationwide.
988 is not just for suicidal crisis.
You might call or text 988 if you are:
- Struggling with alcohol and/or substance use
- Experiencing family, relationship, or financial problems
- Worried about someone who may be in crisis
- In or getting out of an abusive relationship
- Struggling with your sexuality or gender identity
- In unbearable pain
- Having problems that seem unsolvable
What happens when you call?
On average, you will be on the line for 42 seconds before connecting with a trained crisis responder. Once connected, they will:
- Provide you with support by listening to how your problem is affecting you
- Help you reduce stress and empower you to make decisions
- Conduct a safety assessment
- Support you in making a safety plan
- Connect you to resources and provide referrals if needed
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the previous 1-800-273-8255 number still work?
Yes! Although 988 is quite a bit easier to remember, the same services will continue to be provided no matter which number you use.
Will I be hospitalized if I contact the Lifeline for help?
Counselors at the crisis center will provide support and assistance for those who reach out in the least restrictive setting possible. Nearly 98% of contacts are resolved by the Lifeline and do not require intervention from emergency services.
Does reaching out to the Lifeline actually help?
Yes. Studies have shown that those who contact 988 are more likely to feel less depressed, less suicidal, less overwhelmed, and more hopeful.
What languages are 988 services available in?
Calling services are currently provided in both English and Spanish, but Language Line solutions provides translation services in more than 250 languages. Text and chat are currently only available in English.
988 CardOrder Here
A small card with basic details about the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. It's small enough to go with you wherever you go!
988 PinsOrder Here
These pins are intended for businesses, organizations, and schools to spread awareness about 988.
A Guide to 988Order Here
A tri-fold brochure that provides a detailed summary of the new three-digit Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.