The Speedy Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization named after 3-time Olympian, Jeret "Speedy" Peterson of Boise, ID and Park City, UT, someone near and dear to us who we lost to suicide. Our mission is to prevent suicide, support mental health education, and promote conversations to end the stigma surrounding mental illness.
We are suicide prevention advocates by way of conversation and education. We believe:
- Suicide can be prevented by advocating for those who struggle with mental illness, as well as family and friends of those who struggle.
- Suicide can be prevented by promoting conversation to end the stigma surrounding mental illness.
- Suicide can be prevented by providing mental health education.
End the stigma.
ADVOCATE. EDUCATE. CONVERSATE.
IF YOU CAN TALK ABOUT SUICIDE, YOU CAN TALK ABOUT ANYTHING.
ADVOCATE - CONVERSATE - EDUCATE
We believe these are the three pilars that help us achieve our mission.
- ADVOCATE - write to your local/national representatives: encourage them to support mental health and suicide prevention. Get involved with your local school boards and help develop suicide prevention policies for your community.
- CONVERSATE - tell your story. Host a community outreach booth at a local event. Coordinate an educational evening or a speaking panel. Pass out literature. Promote prevention messaging online.
- EDUCATE - bring mental health education and suicide prevention training to your organization/community.