Olympic skier Jeret Peterson called 911 before shooting himself dead

By Daily Mail

July 27, 2011

Olympic silver medalist Jeret 'Speedy' Peterson was found dead in a remote canyon in Utah in what police are calling a suicide.

Peterson, a freestyle skier who patented the so-called 'Hurricane' and took second place at the Vancouver Games with it, called 911 before shooting himself, police said.

The 29-year-old had been cited for drunken driving on Friday in Hailey, Idaho, and had pleaded not guilty.

Officers found Peterson late Monday night between Salt Lake City and Park City in Lambs Canyon.

Police said a suicide note was found near Peterson's car.

They would not reveal what it said.

He was one of the most colourful of athletes, and he wore his heart on his sleeve - never more than on February 26, 2010, when he walked off the mountain after taking second place - the silver medal - with tears streaming down his face.

He said that night: 'I know that a lot of people go through a lot of things in their life, and I just want them to realise they can overcome anything.

'There's light at the end of the tunnel and mine was silver and I love it.'

It was a poignant closing chapter to a career that, until then, had been filled with success on the smaller stages of his fringe sport but defined in the mainstream by his moment at the Turin Olympics where, after finishing seventh, he was sent home early after a minor scuffle with a buddy in the street.

In Italy, he was still reeling from the suicide of a friend, who had shot himself in front of Peterson only months before.

Peterson also had problems with alcohol and depression and admitted he had his own thoughts of suicide, all stemming from a childhood in which he was sexually abused and lost his five-year-old sister to a drunken driver, the Associated Press reports.

Following his arrest on Friday, in south-central Idaho, after he had been speeding at an estimated 70mph in 25mph zone, he failed three field sobriety tests, including a walk and turn and a one-leg stand, according to a police report.

Peterson's long-time coach and friend Matt Christensen said: 'Regardless of the amazing stuff he did skiing, it was the stuff he did for other people that was incredible to me.

'A lot of people saw his story and said he must be a wild jackass and a cowboy. He was just the opposite.'

Mr Christensen added: 'I've worked with amazing athletes who have taken a lot of calculated risks.

'One thing I admired about Speedy is he never gave up on me. 

'From the time I first started talking to him about five twists, he never gave up on it. He just kept doing it.'

'Today is a sad day in our sport,' Bill Marolt, the CEO of the U.S. ski team, said on Tuesday.

'Jeret "Speedy" Peterson was a great champion who will be missed and remembered as a positive, innovative force on not only his sport of freestyle aerials, but on the entire U.S. Freestyle Ski Team family and everyone he touched.'

Mr Peterson got his nickname because of the big helmet he wore, one that made him look like Speed Racer of cartoon fame.

But he became better known for the 'Hurricane' - a triple-twisting, double-flipping trick off the snowy ramp that was more difficult than anything anyone else would try.

It was high-risk, high-reward, and Peterson always insisted he'd have it no other way. It was a sight to behold when he landed it and the judges rewarded it. Helped by the huge difficulty marks for the jump, he still holds the two-jump scoring record of 268.70, set at Deer Valley in January 2007.

He had seven wins on the World Cup circuit, was the 2005 World Cup champion and a three-time American champion.

But the stats and the medals were only a fraction of the story.

Born with the heart of a gambler, he took that passion to Las Vegas and won $550,000 playing blackjack one night. But within years, he had given some of it away and lost even more in the tanking real estate market.

Trying to decide whether he wanted to stay in the sport after Turin, he took time off and started working in the construction business - a place, he said, where he could see the effort of a hard day's work without having to walk into the video room the next day and break it down on the TV screen.

But skiing was his passion, and he recommitted leading up to Vancouver. And what a payoff. He came in second that night, but hardly felt like a runner-up.

'I do it because I want to be the person I know I can be,' he said.

'I've really changed things around in the last 3 1/2 years. This is my medal for everything I've overcome, and I'm ecstatic.'

Back to blog